Thursday, March 17, 2016

Class work Writing project #2 reflection

Hello once again my imaginary reader. Seeing as my two week blogging hiatus has left you all desperate for more of my glorious writing, I have decided to provide for all of you by making another post (the reality is i ran out of ideas and this is a mandatory blog...) This time, I was assigned by my professor to write a paper with many sources and without the memoir aspect. Essentially, an argumentative paper. I had been hoping this writing project would make more sense to me but I found myself even more confused after writing the design plan. My original idea was to speak to the people who aren't sure if they want to join computer science. I would argue that the stigmas are wrong, being a computer scientist doesn't make you a nerd (it makes you a geek) and women should be more inclined to join (no joke here, we really need more women computer scientist. Come on ladies!). After some initial research, I found one point that led to another paper which had a point that led to another paper and continue the chain until you have 5 sources and still no clue how to write this paper. When I asked my professor when I had 2 sources, he told me it was probably because I didn't have the right sources and I should keep looking. He was right in a sense however, I came to the realization that I never would find a source because what I was arguing was too subjective. None of the sources would ever talk about what I wanted to talk about, that computer scientist are not weird or social misfits. No one looks for that in professions, they join because they like the field. There are so few people that are on the fence about computer science especially so looking for some bit of research that will help me prove this point is near impossible or so incredibly hard that it's beyond me. I threw this idea away. I decided i'd get no where fast with that topic. I decided instead to do something that I enjoy doing, critiquing a piece of media. When it comes to media in every shape and size, I am incredibly picky. If a book doesn't interest me in the first five to ten chapters, I drop it. If a video game isn't interesting  before the first couple saves, the saved files gather cobwebs. Movies are the only exception. I usually sit through the whole thing to try and understand everything about the movie before dropping it for good. The only I talked about, "Deadpool", was one movie that I loved. It was outrageously funny and can put anyone in a good mood. However, it was a movie adaptation and I wanted to now the original. After all, that's how I usually compare adaptations kind of like a bench mark (but I have found movies that are better than the book and still sucked. Insurgent, I'm looking at you). I decided this would be what my paper would be on: the differences between the adaptation and the original comics. I feel like I really did well on this one but then again, I have yet to get a grade so I may be singing a very different tune soon.

1 comment: