Thursday, January 28, 2016

In Class free write #2

What does it mean when I say good morning. Stealing from gandalf, does it mean that the morning is good or that I wish good to you on this morning. Does it mean that it is a morning to be good on or that I wish that you have a pleasant morning. Everyone's response is usually, all of those I suppose. I however, would like to go more in detail. to begin, we only say this between the sunrise and noon which is specifically called morning. we do not say good night at 10AM or good morning at 1 PM. When we say good in good morning, what does that actually mean. If we were to wish someone good on a morning, why then don't we also wish them a good morning for the rest of their lives? Is it because we believe that there will come a day that we want them to have a bad morning. Or on the other side of the spectrum, why don't we say good morning everyday to the people in our lives without the expectation that a conversation will be soon to follow. It also provides a rather pessimistic and distrusting connotation by how we could be preparing ourselves to not wish them a good morning. Perhaps then it is meant to say that we mean well for them on this morning. That we have no quarrels and hope that a conversation can begin by addressing any worry that the two speakers are not on good terms. I prefer this more considering I rarely say good morning to people that I'd rather not associate with. Usually, I'll nod my head in their direction or ignore them entirely. Thus I do not not wish them good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment